Surprise project/Longest post ever



You guys, the house is a complete disaster right now but here are some pretty photos of a surprise project we decided to tackle last weekend. Also, I've been meaning to update more, but these projects are just going by so fast.

For this project, we decided that the dining room needed a little something else. We toyed with the idea of just using traditional board and batten, but when searching for photos, we found some with the grid style board and batten and we loved the look of it! Every tutorial we've seen has basically been the same, with the exception of measurements and how to measure. Well let me tell you, that was probably the hardest part of the project. Once we figured out how to do it and how many squares we wanted the rest was a piece of cake.





What you'll need:

1x4 boards (we used pre-primed ones)
Tape measure
Level
Speed square (optional)
Chop saw
Nail gun and air compressor (funnest tool around)
Construction adhesive (liquid nails)
Spackle and putty knife
Electric sander
Sanding block
Paintable caulk
Paint and Primer (and paint brushes and rollers of course)


For the measurements:

Basically, we measured the width of the largest wall and wrote that down. Then we drew a picture of approximately how many squares we wanted on the wall - 6 was too little and the squares were too big and eight was too busy - so we settled on 7. I then subtracted the width of the pieces of board we were planning on using (the boards were 3.5").

So our wall is 148" wide. We put up 8 vertical boards to create 7 squares. The boards are 3.5" wide. Multiply 8 by 3.5 and that equals 28.

148 - 28 = 120

Divide 120 by 7 (the number of squares we want) and that is the width and height of the square which is 17.14" !!!

Confused yet?!

The Process:

Once we figured out the width of the squares, I went around with pencil and marked where the vertical and horizontal boards would go. We then put up the horizontal boards first, then like a machine B went and cut (and measured) each vertical board one by one. Because our house was built in 1926, there are areas that weren't exactly the same. We got all of the boards up within one day and we were thrilled with the results!



The next day B went around and sanded the joints down with an orbital sander to get the transitions as smooth as possible. Then he spackled and sanded the nail holes and tiny gaps (if there were any) and caulked the tiny gaps between the boards and the wall. The next day, after one more sanding, we got to painting. We ended up painting it the same color as the trim in our house - Sherwin-Williams ProClassic extra white in satin. 




It ended up taking the entire day to paint because we did two coats. By the end of the day, the paint was dried, the floors were vacuumed and mopped and the furniture was back in the room. We're obsessed with how it turned out! The best part: the transformation cost around $300 all said and done!

No comments